Barnyard millet upma – upma made with barnyard millet and vegetables.
Millets as superfood has gained popularity in the recent past. They are nutritious and healthy alternatives to rice and wheat. There are many types of millets like finger miller pearl millet, Sorghum, foxtail millet, barnyard millet, kudo millet etc. Millets can be used in various preparations like upma, kheer, dosa, idli and so on.
One of the commonly used millets is barnyard millet. They are tiny white grains and is popularly consumed during fasts as an alternative to rice. Barnyard millet is a versatile ingredient and is used in various preparations. Today I am here with the recipe of barnyard millet upma which makes for a healthy, filling breakfast and can be served as it is or with coconut chutney.
1 cup barnyard millet (varai/samvat/ bhagar)
1 tbsp oil (tel)
1 tsp split black gram (udad dal)
1 tsp mustard seeds (rai/ sarso)
½ tsp asafoetida (hing)
few curry leaves (kadi patta)
1 tsp finely chopped ginger (adrak)
1 small onion, finely chopped (pyaaz)
3 green chillies, finely chopped (hari mirch)
½ cup chopped carrots (gajar)
½ cup chopped French beans (faras bean/fansi)
½ cup green peas (matar)
3 ½ cups water (paani)
salt as per taste (namak)
1 tbsp lemon juice (nimbu ka ras)
3 tbsp roasted peanut powder (mungphali)
3 tbsp freshly grated coconut (nariyal)
3 tbsp fresh coriander leaves, chopped (hara dhaniya)
- Wash and soak barnyard millet in water for 1 hour.
- Drain the water and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Add udad dal, mustard seeds, hing, curry leaves and chopped ginger.
- Saute for few seconds.
- Add chopped onion and saute.
- Add chopped green chilles, chopped carrot, chopped french beans and green peas.
- Add 2 cups of water.
- Cover the pan and cook on low flame for 15 minutes or till the vegetables are cooked.
- After 15 minutes, add soaked millets, salt and the remaining ( 1 ½ cups) water.
- Cover the pan and cook on low flame till the millets absorb all the water and are cooked.
- Turn off the heat.
- Add lemon juice, roasted peanut powder, grated coconut and chopped coriander.
- Give a quick mix.
- Serve hot
WATCH RECIPE VIDEO: