Chatpate Aloo is a quick, easy and delicious appetizer. Serve this as a snack or as a side dish with your main course. I have used baby potatoes in this recipe. You are free to use the large potatoes, cut into pieces. Though, baby potatoes are more appealing to the eyes?. Also, I have not peeled the skin of the potatoes as they add a nice flavour to the dish. You can go ahead and peel the skin of the potatoes, if you wish.
10 to 12 baby potatoes
3 dry red chillies
3 cloves garlic
½ inch ginger
1 tsp cumin coriander powder
1 tbsp oil
1 tsp kasoori methi (dried fenugreek leaves)
1 tsp amchoor (dried mango powder)
1 tbsp fresh cream
¼ tsp sugar
1 tbsp fresh coriander (chopped)
Salt as per taste
- Wash the potatoes well.
- Pressure cook the potatoes with water and little salt for 3 to 4 whistles.
- Remove the potatoes from the cooker after steam escapes fully.
- Once the potatoes cool down, prick the potatoes with a fork and keep them aside.
- Blend red chillies, garlic, ginger, cumin-corainder powder to a coarse paste.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan. Add the ground paste and salt.
- Saute and cook till the raw smell goes away and the masala is cooked well.
- Add the boiled potatoes, kasuri methi, amchoor, fresh cream,1/4 cup of water and mix well.
- Each potato should get coated with the masala.
- Add sugar and mix. Saute for 2 more minutes.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve Chatpate Aloo as a starter.
WATCH RECIPE VIDEO