Dahiwale Aloo – Baby potatoes cooked in a spicy curd gravy.
Potato is one of the most versatile vegetables and can be cooked in number of ways. From breakfast to dinner, you can use potatoes in variety of dishes. Owing to its mild flavour, it pairs well with almost anything it is cooked with. Some of the potato recipes, shared earlier on this blog are Chatpate Aloo, Urlai Roast, Potato sabzi, batata vada, Papdi Aloo sabzi, Rajasthani aloo, Methi aloo sabzi, Baingan Aloo sabzi, Faraali Aloo sabzi, Bohri style Chana Batata, Achari Aloo Paratha, Batata Poha etc. Dahiwale Aloo is baby potatoes cooked in a spicy curd gravy. It pairs well with chapatis, rotis and rice. Here goes the recipe:
18 to 20 baby potatoes (chote aloo)
1 ½ cups curds (dahi)
¼ tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
2 tsp red chilly powder (laal mirch powder)
1 tsp cumin coriander powder (dhaniya jeera powder)
¼ tsp garam masala
¾ cup chopped coriander leaves (hara dhaniya)
Salt as per taste (namak)
a pinch of sugar (cheeni)
2 tsp oil (tel )
1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
a green chilly, finely chopped (hari mirch )
1 tbsp chopped coriander for garnishing (hara dhaniya)
- Wash and boil the potatoes in a pressure cooker for 3 to 4 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape fully before you open the pressure cooker.
- Peel the potatoes and keep aside.
- In a mixing bowl, add the curds.
- Add turmeric powder, red chilly powder, cumin-coriander powder, garam masala, salt and sugar.
- Mix well using a whisk.
- Keep this aside.
- Heat 2 tsp oil in a pan.
- Add cumin seeds.
- When the seeds start crackling, add chopped green chilly.
- Saute for few seconds.
- Add the curd mixture.
- Stir and cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add chopped coriander leaves and give a mix.
- Add boiled potatoes and mix.
- Cook covered for 10 to 12 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- After about 10 minutes, the curd mixture will thicken, forming a semi-thick gravy.
- Garnish with chopped fresh coriander.
- Serve hot with rotis or rice.
Chilly powder and green chillies can be adjusted as per your taste
WATCH RECIPE VIDEO: