Barik Methi Aloo Sabzi is a simple preparation made using baby fenugreek leaves and potatoes. Simple meals are sometimes more satisfying than the exotic dishes. For most Indians, the definition of a comfort meal is a plate of dal-chawal or roti sabzi. One such comforting combination is methi aloo sabzi with rotis. Methi/fenugreek leaves cooked with potatoes and served with piping hot rotis makes for a hearty meal. I have used baby fenugreek leaves (barik methi) for this recipe. It is also known as Samudri methi as it is grown in the sandy soil.
You can also grow methi in your house/garden. In case, you are interested in growing methi in containers, read this. Now, lets look at the recipe for Aloo Methi Sabzi:
12 to 15 bunches of baby fenugreek leaves (Barik Methi)
2 potatoes, peeled and chopped (aloo)
1 large onion, chopped (pyaaz)
4 to 5 cloves of garlic, chopped (lehsun)
2 green chillies, chopped (hari mirch)
2 tsp oil (tel)
1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
a tsp of turmeric powder (haldi)
1 tsp red chilly powder (laal mirch)
a tbsp of jaggery, cut into small pieces (gud)
Salt as per taste (namak)
- Firstly trim the muddy root portion of the fenugreek leaves.
- Rinse the leaves 3 to 4 times in water so that all the sandy particles are removed.
- Put the washed methi leaves in a colander so that the water is drained.
- Chop the methi leaves and keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Add cumin seeds.
- When the seeds start spluttering, add chopped garlic and saute.
- Add chopped onions and saute till they turn soft .
- Add chopped green chillies and potatoes.
- Add turmeric powder.
- Cook covered till the potatoes are partially cooked.
- Now, add the chopped methi leaves and cook covered till the methi leaves are cooked.
- This may take around 8 to 10 minutes.
- Uncover the pan and add red chilly powder, jaggery and salt.
- Mix well and allow it to cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Serve hot with rotis.
- Baby Fenugreek Leaves /Barik (Samudri) Methi contain lot of sand particles in them. So it is important to clean them well.
- These leaves are slightly bitter . Onion and jaggery helps to balance the bitterness.
WATCH RECIPE VIDEO:
In case you are interested in recipes using methi leaves, please check the following recipes: