Urlai Roast (Potato Roast) is a Chettinad style roasted potatoes recipe. It is a delicious dry dish made with baby potatoes and freshly ground spicy Chettinad masala. Urlai roast goes well with rice and tomato saar.
Ingredients for the Chettinad masala
3 tbsp fresh grated coconut
4 to 5 dried red chillies
2 tsp coriander seeds (dhaniya)
1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
2 tsp fennel seeds (saunf)
A small piece of cinnamon (dalchini)
2 cloves (Lavang)
1 tsp black pepper (Kalimirch)
Few curry leaves
300 grams baby potatoes
1 onion (chopped)
1 tomato (chopped)
1 tsp mustard seeds (Rai)
1 tsp split black gram (udad dal)
½ tsp hing
few curry leaves
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 tbsp tamarind paste
1 tsp jaggery (grated)
1 tbsp oil
Salt as per taste
For making Chettinad Masala
- Heat a pan.
- Add the grated fresh coconut, curry leaves and roast it. Set this aside.
- Add half a teaspoon of oil and roast the dry red chillies, coriander seds, cumin seeds, fennel seeds, cinnamon, cloves and black pepper one by one.
- Blend all the roasted ingredients to a fine powder. Keep this aside.
How to proceed
- Boil the baby potatoes with salt in a pressure cooker for 3 to 4 whistles.
- After the steam escapes fully, remove the potatoes.
- Peel the boiled potatoes and keep this aside.
- Heat the remaining oil in a pan.
- Add mustard seeds, curry leaves, udad dal and saute.
- Add asafoetida (hing) and saute.
- Add chopped onions ad saute till they turn soft and translucent .
- Add chopped tomatoes and saute.
- When the tomatoes are properly cooked, add the powdered masala and mix well.
- Add tamarind paste, grated jaggery and mix well
- Add little water , turmeric powder, salt and saute.
- Let it cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the boiled potatoes and mix well so that all the potatoes are coated well with the masala.
- Serve hot as a side dish with rice and tomato saar or it can even be served with rotis.
WATCH RECIPE VIDEO
Other Potato recipes :