Goli Baje also known as Mangalore Bajji or Mangalore Bonda is a popular tea time snack of Mangalore. “Goli baje” literally means round bhajiyas. These are crispy fluffy fritters made of maida (refined flour),curds and spiced with green chillies, ginger and coriander leaves. You will always find Goli baje on the menu of most restaurants serving teatime snacks in Mangalore. Let’s take a look at the recipe of this ever popular snack of Mangalore.
1 cup refined flour (maida)
1 ½ tbsp gram flour (besan)
½ cup curds (dahi)
½ tsp sugar (cheeni)
¼ tsp baking soda
2 to 3 green chillies, finely chopped (hari mirch)
½ inch ginger, finely chopped (adrak)
2 tbsp chopped fresh coriander leaves (dhaniya)
Salt as per taste (namak)
Oil for frying the bajjis
- In a mixing bowl, add curds, sugar, salt and baking soda. Whisk well.
- Now, add besan.
- Add maida, little at a time and keep mixing.
- Add little water and mix.
- The batter should be of idli batter consistency.
- Add chopped green chillies, ginger and coriander leaves.
- Mix well and keep aside for an hour.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Drop tablespoonful of the batter (using your hand) into the hot oil.
- Fry the Goli Baje on medium flame till they turn crisp.
- Remove on an absorbent paper.
- Serve hot with coconut chutney.
Chopped pieces of coconut ,chopped curry leaves and cumin seeds can also be added to the batter.
WATCH RECIPE VIDEO: