Jackfruit Chana Sukka – a delicious vegetarian dish from the Mangalorean cuisine
On the onset of summer, raw, tender jackfruit makes its appearance in the markets. Jackfruit, raw and ripe is used in variety of dishes. Over the recent years, it has become a favourite meat substitute for vegans and vegetarians, due to its meaty texture. However, cutting of jackfruit can be a messy job. To know, how to cut the jackfruit, click here. Raw jackfruit is used to make sabzis, biryani, cutlets etc. Raw jackfruit (Kathal) biryani has become a family favorite and I have already made it thrice this season. The tedious job of cleaning the jackfruit has not deterred me from making it so many times.
Today I am here with a Mangalorean recipe using raw jackfruit. As I have mentioned earlier, Mangalorean cuisine is famous for its sukka recipes and there are host of vegetarian and non-vegetarian sukka recipes – to name a few, we have Chicken Sukka, Tendli Chana Sukka, Prawns sukka, suran chana sukka, clams sukka and so on. Traditional Sukka recipe calls for roasting of spices, grinding of spices and coconut. But today I am here with a shortcut recipe. I have used Mangalorean curry powder to make this dish. Hence, there is no need to roast the spices, grind the masala and the dish gets made in no time without compromising the taste. So, here goes the recipe for Jackfruit Chana Sukka:
Step-wise recipe with pictures:
Wash and soak chanas in water for 4 to 5 hours.
Pressure cook chanas for 3 to 4 whistles. Keep aside.
Chop the jackfruit (To know how to cut the jackfruit, click here)
Place the chopped jackfruit in a steel container and pressure cook for 3 whistles. The water should be in the pressure cooker and not in the steel container.
Keep cooked jackfruit aside.
Heat coconut oil in a pan. Add the mustard seeds, hing, chopped garlic, curry leaves and saute.
Add chopped onions and saute.
Add turmeric powder and mix.
Add the cooked jackfruit and cooked chanas.
Add Mangalorean curry powder, tamarind pulp, salt, jaggery powder and mix.
Cover and cook for 5 minutes until the flavours combine.
Add fresh, grated coconut and mix. Cook for 2 more minutes.
Garnish with chopped coriander.
Serve Jackfruit Chana Sukka with dal rice or rice and tomato saar. It pairs well with rotis too.
Jackfruit Chana Sukka
- 450 grams raw jackfruit, cut into medium sized cubes
- 1/3 cup black chana
- 6 to 7 big cloves of garlic, chopped
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- ½ tsp asafoetida/hing
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- few curry leaves
- 3 tbsp Mangalorean curry powder
- 2 tsp tamarind pulp
- 1 tbsp jaggery powder
- salt to taste
- ½ cup fresh coconut, grated
- 2 tbsp fresh coriander, chopped
- Wash and soak chanas in water for 4 to 5hours.
- Pressure cook chanas for 3 to 4 whistles. Keep aside.
- Place the chopped jackfruit in a steel container and pressure cook for 3 whistles. The water should be in the pressure cooker and not in the steel container.
- Open the pressure cooker after the pressure has released naturally.
- You can mash the cooked jackfruit lightly, keeping some pieces chunky. Keep aside.
- Heat coconut oil. Add the mustard seeds, hing, chopped garlic, curry leaves and chopped onion. Saute for few seconds.
- Add turmeric powder and mix.
- Next, add the cooked jackfruit and cooked chanas.
- Add Mangalorean curry powder, tamarind pulp, salt and jaggery powder. Mix to coat well.
- Cover and cook for 5 minutes until the flavours combine.
- Next, add grated coconut and mix.
- Cover and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Garnish with chopped coriander.
- Serve hot withdal rice or rice and tomato saar. It pairs well with rotis too.
Thank you for stopping by. If you like/ tried this recipe, leaving a comment below the post will enable more readers and cooking enthusiasts to discover these recipes. Also, if you are on Instagram, do share a picture of the dish and tag @vanitascorner to be featured in my stories.
Do follow me on Instagram, Facebook and Pinterest.