Karandis are baby prawns or mini shrimps. Karandi masala is a semi-dry preparation which pairs well with rice bhakris or chapatis. Amongst seafood, prawns holds a special place in the heart of most non-vegetarians. There are variety of dishes prepared with prawns like prawns curry, prawns balchao, prawns pulao, Chilly garlic prawns etc. Mini shrimps/Karandi are very often used to make cutlets . Karandi masala is a semi dry preparation made with mini prawns and spices. Here’s the recipe:
1 ½ cup of baby prawns, shelled
2 medium onions, finely chopped
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
2 green chillies, finely chopped
1 tbsp oil
1 tsp turmeric powder
2 tsp red chilly powder
1 tbsp cumin-coriander powder
¾ tsp garam masala
2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
1 tsp lemon juice
Salt as per taste
- Wash the baby prawns.
- In a mixing bowl, add the prawns.
- Add 1 tsp red chilly powder, turmeric powder, salt and mix well.
- Keep aside for 15 minutes.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan .
- Add cumin seeds.
- When the seeds start crackling, add chopped onions and chopped green chillies.
- Saute till the onions turn golden brown and aromatic.
- Add ginger garlic paste and saute for few seconds.
- Add the marinated prawns, remaining chilly powder, cumin-coriander powder and garam masala. Give a mix.
- Cook covered for 7 to 10 minutes.
- Mini prawns does not take long to cook.
- Add chopped coriander and mix.
- Add salt if required.
- Turn off the flame.
- Add lime juice and give a mix.
- Serve hot with rice bhakris.