Mango Falooda is a popular summer dessert made with mangoes, vermicelli, milk, basil seeds, nuts and ice-cream.
Falooda is a cool and refreshing dessert drink made with layers of rose syrup, basil seeds, vermicelli noodles, milk, ice-cream and nuts. In summers, when mangoes are available in plenty, mango falooda is a must-make dessert.
Mango Falooda is a perfect dessert for summers when we all crave to have something chilled all the time. Mango falooda with the combination of mangoes and milk makes for a satisfying dessert. It’s a great dessert to serve for family get-togethers. It is easy to make. It is delicious and above all it is a visual delight. With different layers and colours, it is a very good looking dessert.
List of ingredients to make Mango Falooda
Mangoes : Mango of course is the key ingredient to make Mango Falooda. Though any variety of mangoes can be used, I prefer using Alphonso mangoes.
Vermicelli or falooda sev : I have used store bought falooda sev. Cornstarch noodles are easily available as falooda sev in stores.
Basil seeds or Sabja seeds : Sabja seeds which is also known as Tukmaria is also one of the key ingredients of falooda. Sabja seeds are known to have cooling properties and are best consumed in summers.
Milk: Full fat milk
Sweetener : I have used sugar here. However, you can use honey or maple syrup too.
Rose syrup: I have used mapro rose syrup
Ice cream: I have used mango ice-cream. You can use any flavour of ice cream.
Chopped Nuts : nuts such as almonds and pistachios
Dried rose petals : for garnishing
Apart from the ingredients given above, you can customise it with your favourite ingredients and toppings. For eg: You can add jelly as one of the layers. For toppings, you can use tutti fruti/glazed cherries etc.
Step-wise recipe with pictures
Soak sabja seeds in water and keep aside for 20 minutes.
Chop 2 mangoes , Blend the mangoes with milk and sugar. Keep aside.
Chop 2 mangoes into small cubes and keep aside.
Cook the falooda sev as per the instructions on the packet. I cut the noodles into small pieces and boiled it for 5 minutes. Drain and keep aside.
After 20 minutes the sabja seeds will swell up absorbing the water and will look like this.
All the elements of falooda i.e., soaked sabja seeds, chopped mangoes, mango-milk mixture and boiled noodles can be kept in the refrigerator and can be used at the time of assembling the falooda.
To assemble the falooda, take a tall glass. Firstly add 2 tsp of rose syrup. Swirl the glass .
Next, add soaked sabja seeds
Add chopped mangoes
Next, add cooked falooda sev
Then add the mango milk mixture
Add chopped mangoes
Top it with a big scoop of mango icecream.
Garnish with chopped nuts, chopped mangoes and dried rose petals
- 4 mangoes
- 2 cups of milk
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp basil seeds /sabja seeds/ takmaria
- ½ a packet of falooda sev
- rose syrup
- mango icecream
- chopped nuts (almonds and pistachios) for garnishing
- dried rose petals for garnishing
- Firstly, soak sabja seeds in a cup of water and keep asidefor 20 minutes.
- Chop 2 mangoes and blend with milk and sugar. Keep this mixture aside. It can be kept in the refrigerator till the time all other elements are getting ready.
- Chop 2 more mangoes into small cubes and keep aside.
- Heat water in a pan.
- Add falooda sev/noodles and cook for 5 minutes.
- Strain and drop the noodles in cold water. Strain again and keep aside. ( For cooking falooda sev, follow the instructionsas given in the noodles packet).
- To assemble the falooda, take a tall glass.
- Add 2 tsp rose syrup. Swirl the glass.
- Add 1 tbsp soaked sabja seeds.
- Next, add chopped mangoes.
- Add 2 tbsp cooked falooda sev.
- Next, pour the mango milk mixture.
- Add 1 tbsp of chopped mangoes.
- Top it with a large scoop of mango ice cream.
- Finally garnish with chopped mangoes, chopped nuts and dried rose petals.
- Repeat the same with remaining ingredients . The ingredients given above will make 4 tall glasses of falooda.
- Serve immediately
More Summer Treats
Thank you for stopping by. If you like/ tried this recipe, leaving a comment below the post will enable more readers and cooking enthusiasts to discover these recipes. Also, if you are on Instagram, do share a picture of the dish and tag @vanitascorner to be featured in my stories.
Subscribe to my youtube channel for easy video recipes.