Masala peanuts is an easy, quick snack made by frying gram flour coated raw peanuts. They make for a tasty snack for anytime munching. These crunchy, masala peanuts pairs fantastically with a hot cup of tea or coffee and is liked by kids and adults alike. This can be stored in an airtight container, to munch on as and when required. For those of you, who avoid fried snacks, this can be air fried/ baked or microwaved. So, here goes the recipe for fried masala peanuts:
2 cups of raw peanuts (moongphali)
1 cup of gram flour (besan)
3 tbsp rice flour (chawal ka aata)
2 tsp red chilli powder (laal mirch)
1 tsp carom seeds (ajwain)
½ tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
½ tsp asafoetida (hing)
2 tbsp oil (tel)
3 tbsp water (paani)
salt as per taste (namak)
Oil for frying the peanuts
- In a mixing bowl, add besan, rice flour, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, asafoetida, carom seeds, salt and mix well.
- Now, add 2 tbsp oil and give a quick mix.
- Add the raw peanuts, water and mix well so that the peanuts are coated well with masala.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Drop a few masala coated peanuts, at a time, into the oil.
- Fry on a slow flame till they turn crisp.
- Drain on an absorbent paper.
- Allow them to cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container.
- Use as required.
The peanuts will be a little soft when hot, but will turn crispy after they cool completely. Also, the colour of fried peanuts will turn darker after they cool down.
For baking the peanuts : Spread the peanuts on a baking tray and Bake the peanuts at 180 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes in a pre heated oven.
For microwave version: Spread the peanuts on a microwave safe plate. Microwave on high for 3 minutes. Toss the peanuts gently. Microwave again for 2 minutes. If needed, microwave again for 2 minutes. Cooking time may vary from microwave to microwave, oven to oven.
WATCH RECIPE VIDEO╨