Mushroom Ghee Roast – mushrooms cooked in a spicy ghee roast masala.
Decades ago, in a tiny eatery called Shetty Lunch Home in Kundapur, originated a dish called Chicken ghee roast. The roasted spicy masala and oodles of pure ghee is the highlight of ghee roast dishes. The ghee roast masala is versatile enough to be made not only with chicken but prawns, mutton, paneer, mushrooms and so on.
Mushroom ghee roast is made by pan roasting mushrooms and then cooking them in aromatic masala paste and ghee. This pairs well with neer dosa and appams. It also makes for an excellent side dish with dal-rice or biryani. Here is the recipe for Mushroom Ghee roast.
350 grams mushrooms
½ tsp oil for roasting the spices (tel)
8 dry red chillies ( a mix of Byadgi and Guntur Chillies) (sookhi laal mirch)
4 tbsp clarified butter (ghee)
2 tbsp coriander seeds (dhaniya)
½ tsp fennel seeds (sauf)
1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
1 tsp black peppercorns (kali mirch)
¼ tsp fenugreek seeds (methi daana)
a small piece of cinnamon (dalchini)
4 to 5 cloves (laung/ lavang)
8 to 10 cloves of garlic (lehsun)
1 tsp chopped ginger (adrak)
a lemon sized ball of tamarind (imli)
few curry leaves (kadi patta)
1 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
2 tbsp curds (dahi)
1 tbsp jaggery powder (gud)
salt as per taste (namak)
- Firstly, clean the mushrooms well. Pat dry the mushrooms using tissue paper.
- Next, chop the mushrooms and keep aside.
- Soak tamarind in water for 10 minutes.
- Heat ½ tsp oil in a pan.
- Add red chillies and roast on low flame till they turn crisp. Remove and keep aside.
- Now, add coriander seeds, fennel seeds, cumin seeds, fenugreek seeds, cinnamon, black peppercorns and cloves.
- Roast the spices till they turn aromatic.
- Transfer the roasted ingredients to a mixer jar.
- Add garlic, chopped ginger, tamarind (soaked in water), ½ tsp turmeric powder and blend the ingredients to a fine paste.
- Keep this masala paste aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp ghee in a pan.
- Add chopped mushrooms.
- Add ½ tsp salt and 1/ 2 tsp turmeric powder.
- Saute for few minutes.
- Take the pan off the heat and keep aside.
- Now, heat a pan. Add the remaining ghee to it.
- Add curry leaves and the masala paste.
- Saute the masala in ghee.
- Let the masala get fried well in ghee.
- Add curds, jaggery powder and salt.
- Mx well and cook the masala till it starts leaving sides of the pan.
- Add sauteed mushrooms.
- Mix and cook on low flame for another 5 minutes.
- Serve hot.
WATCH RECIPE VIDEO: