Pani puri is one of the most common street foods of India and occupies a special place in the hearts of many. They are crispy puris filled with potato masala/sprouts , sweet chutney and spicy flavourful water. They are also known as golgappas and puchkas in different parts of India. They are best devoured at the road side stalls. But for hygiene reasons, if one decides to make this at home, here goes the recipe:
50 Puris, store bought
For the Spicy Pudina Pani
2 cups of mint leaves (pudina)
1 cup of coriander leaves (hara dhaniya)
4 to 5 green chillies (hari mirch)
1 ½ inch ginger (adrak)
a marble size ball of tamarind (imli), soaked in water for 15 minutes
1 tbsp roasted cumin powder (jeera powder)
1 tbsp chaat masala
1 tsp black salt (kaala namak)
a pinch of salt (namak)
Stuffing for the puris
2 large potatoes, boiled, peeled and mashed (aloo)
¼ cup boiled, sprouted green gram (ankurit moong)
¼ cup fried gram balls (boondi)
salt as per taste (namak)
1 tsp red chilly powder (laal mirch powder)
1 tsp cumin coriander powder (dhaniya jeera powder)
1 tsp chaat masala
½ tsp black salt (kaala namak)
1 cup of sweet chutney (meethi chutney)
2 tbsp boondi for adding into the chilled pudina pani
For preparing the spicy pudina pani
- In to a mixer jar, add mint leaves, coriander leaves, green chillies, ginger, soaked tamarind, roasted cumin powder, chaat masala, black salt, salt and ¼ cup of water.
- Blend to a fine paste.
- Add 3 cups of water to this paste and pass it through a strainer.
- Keep this spicy pudina pani refrigerated for atleast an hour.
For the stuffing
- Soak the boondis in little water for about 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, drain the water and transfer soaked boondis to a mixing bowl.
- Next, add boiled and mashed potato, boiled moong sprouts, red chilli powder, cumin coriander powder, chaat masala, salt, black salt and mix well.
- Keep this aside.
For making paani puri
- Add 2 tbsp boondi to the chilled pudina paani.
- To make the pani puri, crack a small hole in the centre of a puri and stuff with potato sprouts mixture.
- Top it with a spoon of sweet chutney and dip the entire puri in the spicy pudina paani.
- Serve pani puri immediately.
- Repeat the same with other puris.
WATCH RECIPE VIDEO:
Thank you for stopping by. If you like/ tried this recipe, leaving a comment below the post will enable more readers and cooking enthusiasts to discover these recipes. Also, if you are on Instagram, do share a picture of the dish and tag @vanitascorner to be featured in my stories.
Subscribe to my youtube channel for easy video recipes.