Rava Sheera is a popular dessert which holds special place in Indian food culture – either as a dessert or as prasad/bhog for religious festivals. Made with semolina, ghee, sugar and dry fruits, sheera is very easy to make and delicious in taste. Known by different names in different parts of India, every region has a unique way of making this dish. Here is my recipe for Rava Sheera.
1 cup semolina (rava)
½ cup clarified butter (ghee) + few drops for frying the cashew nuts
¾ cup warm milk (doodh)
½ cup hot water (paani)
½ cup sugar (cheeni)
2 tsp raisins (kishmish)
8 to 10 cashewnuts (kaju)
1 tsp cardamom (elaichi powder )
Pistachio slivers and dried rose petals for garnishing
- Heat few drops of ghee in a pan.
- Add cashew nuts and fry for a minute on low flame.
- Remove and keep aside.
- Add half cup of ghee into the pan.
- When the ghee starts melting, add the rava and saute on slow flame for 10 to 15 minutes till the rava is well cooked and turns aromatic.
- When the rava is fried well, add sugar.
- Give a quick mix.
- Now, add warm milk and hot water.
- Keep stirring the mixture continuously on low flame.
- Rava will absorb milk and water and will start leaving the sides of the pan.
- Add fried cashew nuts, raisins, cardamom powder and mix well.
- Garnish with pistachio slivers and rose petals.
- Rava sheera is ready to be served.
WATCH RECIPE VIDEO: