Vada Pav Chutney – the star accompaniment with Vada Pav.
Vada pav is one of the most popular street food of Mumbai. The accompaniments served with vada pav plays a huge role in uplifting the taste of this snack. Vada pav is generally served with green chutney and a dry chutney powder which is made of garlic. This fiery garlic chutney is the star accompaniment when it comes to street side Vada pav.
The main ingredients of this chutney are garlic and dry red chillies. However, there is a secret ingredient which the road side vada pav stalls use while making this chutney. Alongwith garlic and red chillies, they blend the fried besan crumbs that are left behind after frying the vadas. So, to recreate the same chutney powder like the street side vada pav stalls, I have used few tablespoons of mixed farsan to make this spicy, vada pav chutney. This chutney can be used as an accompaniment with other fried snacks like onion pakodas, moong dal pakodas etc. Here goes the recipe.
10 dry red chillies – mix of Kashmiri and Pandi chillies (sookhi laal mirch)
¼ cup dry coconut, chopped (sookha nariyal)
2 tbsp peanuts (moongphali)
10 to 12 cloves of garlic, chopped (lehsun)
3 tbsp of mixed farsan (optional)
salt as per taste (namak)
- Heat a pan. Add red chillies.
- Dry roast the chillies, on low flame for few minutes.
- Remove and keep aside.
- Now add chopped dry coconuts. Saute for few minutes. Remove and keep aside.
- Add peanuts and roast till they change in colour and become aromatic. Remove and keep aside.
- Next, add chopped garlic. Roast for few minutes. Remove and keep aside.
- Deskin the peanuts.
- Transfer the roasted ingredients to a mixer jar. Add salt as per taste.
- Blend to a coarse powder.
- Now, add mixed farsan.
- Adding of mixed farsan is optional.
- Blend again for few seconds.
- The spicy, tasty Vada Pav Chutney is ready to be served with Vada pav.
Adding of mixed farsan is optional. It is added just to acquire the taste of the chutney served at street side vada pav stalls.
The farsan contains salt and so the quantity of salt added to the chutney should be adjusted accordingly.
WATCH RECIPE VIDEO :