Walnut Halwa – a rich, decadent dessert made from walnuts.
Walnut Halwa is a delicious dessert made from walnuts. This is specially made during winters as walnuts are known to keep the body warm. This also makes for a perfect dessert for festivals. Walnuts are coarsely ground and then roasted for sometime before cooking them in milk and mawa. Generally, sugar is used to make walnut halwa. But I have used jaggery in this recipe, thus making it healthier. Here goes the recipe for walnut halwa.
3 cups of walnut (akhrot)
1 tbsp clarified butter (ghee)
2 cups of milk (doodh)
1 cup of khoya (mawa)
2 cups of jaggery (gud), grated or broken into small pieces.
1 tsp cardamom powder (elaichi powder)
2 to 3 tsp of chopped pistachios (pista) for garnishing
Edible Silver leaf for garnishing (chandi ka vark) (optional)
- Firstly, blend the walnuts to a coarse powder.
- Heat ghee in a pan.
- Add powdered walnuts.
- Saute for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Now, add milk.
- Cook the mixture on a low flame, stirring continuously.
- Add mawa to the mixture.
- Keep stirring continuously.
- When the mixture starts thickening, add jaggery.
- Keep stirring till the mixture gets thick.
- When the mixture starts leaving the sides of the pan, add cardamom powder.
- Turn off the heat.
- Grease a tray with ghee.
- Transfer the mixture to the greased tray and spread evenly using a spatula.
- Garnish with chopped pistachios.
- You can also garnish with edible silver leaf.
- Allow it to cool completely.
- You can refrigerate the halwa before cutting into pieces.
- After it cools completely. cut into desired shapes.
- Walnut Halwa is ready to be served.
WATCH RECIPE VIDEO: