Idiyappam or String Hoppers is a traditional dish from Southern India. It goes by different names . For eg. Idiyappam in Kerala & Tamilnadu, Nool Puttu and Shevige in Karnataka. It is a famous breakfast item down south and is served with potato stew/ vegetable stew/ egg curry/ sweetened coconut milk etc. Here’s the recipe for Idiyappam:
2 cups rice flour
2 cups of water
Salt as per taste
1 tsp oil
- Heat 2 cups of water in a pan.
- When it starts boiling, add salt and a teaspoon of oil.
- Add the rice flour and keep stirring till it absorbs all the water.
- Turn off the heat and keep the pan covered for 10 minutes.
- Once the flour has cooled a little, knead it to a smooth dough.
- Shape the dough into a cylindrical roll.
- Grease the chakli maker with oil and place the sev/noodle mould in it.
- Fill the dough into the chakli maker.
- Grease the idli plates with oil and press the idiyappam dough into the idli moulds in a circular manner. (See video below for better understanding)
- Heat water in a steamer.
- Place the idli plates in the steamer and steam for 10 minutes.
- Serve steamed idiyappam with vegetable stew or potato stew or sweetened coconut milk.
WATCH RECIPE VIDEO :
For more South Indian breakfast dish, have a look at the following recipes: