Idiyappam or String Hoppers is a traditional dish from Southern India. It goes by different names . For eg. Idiyappam in Kerala & Tamilnadu, Nool Puttu and Shevige in Karnataka. It is a famous breakfast item down south and is served with potato stew/ vegetable stew/ egg curry/ sweetened coconut milk etc. Here’s the recipe for Idiyappam:
List of ingredients
Rice flour, salt and oil
Step-wise recipe with pictures
Heat water in a pan. When it starts boiling, add salt and a tsp of oil.
Add rice flour and keep stirring until it absorbs all the water.
Turn off the heat and keep the pan covered for 10 minutes.
Once the mixture has cooled a bit, knead into a smooth dough.
Shape the dough into cylindrical roll. Grease the chakli maker with oil and place the noodle mould in it.Fill the dough into the chakli maker.
Grease idli mould with oil. Press the idiyappam dough into idli moulds in a circular manner.
Keep the idli plates in a steamer and steam for 10 minutes.
Serve idiyappam with veg stew pr sweetened coconut milk or egg ghee roast.
- 2 cups rice flour
- 2 cups of water
- Salt as per taste
- 1 tsp oil
- Heat 2 cups of water in a pan.
- When it starts boiling, add salt and a teaspoon of oil.
- Add the rice flour and keep stirring till it absorbs all the water.
- Turn off the heat and keep the pan covered for 10 minutes.
- Once the flour has cooled a little, knead it to a smooth dough.
- Shape the dough into a cylindrical roll.
- Grease the chakli maker with oil and place the sev/noodle mould in it.
- Fill the dough into the chakli maker.
- Grease the idli plates with oil and press the idiyappam dough into the idli moulds in a circular manner.
- Heat water in a steamer.
- Place the idli plates in the steamer and steam for 10 minutes.
- Serve steamed idiyappam with vegetable stew or potato stew or sweetened coconut milk.
More South Indian Breakfast recipes
Thank you for stopping by. If you like/ tried this recipe, leaving a comment below the post will enable more readers and cooking enthusiasts to discover these recipes. Also, if you are on Instagram, do share a picture of the dish and tag @vanitascorner to be featured in my stories.
Do follow me on Instagram, Facebook and Pinterest.
Subscribe to my youtube channel for easy video recipes.