Recently, a friend sent me a picture of Ulli Karam Dosa and asked if I’ve ever had this dosa. I had never heard about Ulli Karam Dosa. She too just had the picture with her and no recipe. That’s when I googled Ulli Karam Dosa and learnt that Ulli Karam means Onion chutney in Telugu and Ulli Karam dosa is a dosa smeared with onion chutney. I got the recipe of Ulli Karam Dosa from www.foodvedam.com . Dosa, being one of my favourite food, I had to try out this recipe at the first opportunity. I did make Ulli Karam Dosa…… and it was an instant hit with my family. Here goes the recipe:
1 cup udad dal
2 cups rice
1 tsp methi seeds
2 tbsp chana dal
3 to 4 tbsp poha (soaked in water for 20 minutes)
Salt as per taste
2 large onions
2 to 3 dry red chillies
2 cloves garlic
1 tsp oil
1 tsp cumin seeds
A small piece of tamarind
Salt as per taste
Ghee/Oil for cooking dosas
For Onion Chutney
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a pan.
- Add cumin seeds, dry red chillies and saute for few seconds.
- Add chopped garlic, chopped onions, tamarind and salt.
- Saute till the onions turn translucent.
- Allow this to cool down.
- Blend all the ingredients to a fine paste. Keep this aside.
- Wash and soak rice, methi seeds and chana dal in water for 3 to 4 hours.
- Wash and soak udad dal in water for 3 to 4 hours.
- Drain the rice, methi seeds, chana dal add the soaked poha and grind using little water, to a smooth paste.
- Drain the udad dal and grind using little water, to a smooth paste.
- Mix them in a deep vessel.
- Cover and keep the batter to ferment for six to eight hours in a warm place.
- Add salt to the fermented batter and mix well.
- Heat a tawa.
- Pour a ladle of dosa batter and spread it in a circular motion to form a thin dosa.
- Drizzle a tsp of oil or ghee around the dosa and cook till the dosa turns brown in colour and crisp.
- Take 2 tbsp onion chutney and spread evenly on the dosa.
- Sprinkle chopped coriander leaves over the chutney.
- Fold the dosa and serve hot with coconut chutney.
WATCH RECIPE VIDEO
Love Dosas? Have a look at the following dosa recipes: