Idlis decorated with vegetables, cut in different shapes. This is just to make it more appealing for the kids. I have used carrots, beetroot, green peas and coriander leaves to decorate the idlis. Vegetables like capsicum, sweet corn and curry leaves can also be used to make designs on idlis.
2 cups raw rice (chawal)
1 cup split black gram(udad dal)
3 to 4 tbsp flattened rice (poha)
Salt as per taste
Carrot, beetroot, green peas, coriander leaves to make designs on idlis.
- Soak rice and dal in water separately for 3 to 4 hours.
- Soak poha in water for 30 minutes.
- Drain and grind udad dal with little water to a smooth paste.
- Drain and grind rice and poha using little water to a smooth paste.
- Mix them in a deep vessel.
- Cover and keep the batter to ferment for six to eight hours in a warm place.
- Peel the carrot and beetroot.
- Cut carrot and beetroot into desired shapes.
- Grease the idli plates.
- Make different patterns by placing the carrot- beetroot cut-outs, green peas and coriander leaves on the idli moulds.
- Fill the mould with idli batter.
- Another method is to first fill the mould with idli batter and then place the veggies over the batter to make different patterns.
- Steam the idlis in a steamer or idli cooker for 15 to 20 minutes or until the idli is done.
- Serve hot with chutney or/and sambhar.
WATCH RECIPE VIDEO: