Lemon rice, also known as Chitranna is a popular rice preparation in southern India, especially Karnataka. It makes for a convenient option on a busy day especially if you have leftover steamed rice. It is also a perfect dish to carry in the lunch box as it stays good and tastes awesome even after a few hours. Here’s the recipe :
2 cups cooked rice (chawal)
1 tsp + 1 tbsp oil
1 tsp split black gram (udad dal)
1 tsp mustard seeds (rai)
Few curry leaves (kadi patta)
1 to 2 green chiliies (hari mirch)
1 dry red chilly (laal mirch)
1 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
2 teaspoon peanuts (mungphali)
4 to 5 cashew nuts (kaju)
2 tbsp lemon juice (nimbu ka ras)
Salt as per taste
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a pan.
- Roast the peanuts and cashewnuts and keep them aside.
- In the same pan, add 1 tbsp oil.
- Add udad dal.
- When it starts spluttering, add mustard seeds.
- Add curry leaves, green chillies, red chilly and saute.
- Add turmeric powder and mix.
- Add cooked rice and mix gently.
- Add lemon juice, salt and mix.
- Add roasted peanuts and cashew nuts.
- Give a gentle mix. ‘
- Serve lemon rice, hot with some papad and pickle.
WATCH RECIPE VIDEO :
Further, I would like to draw your attention to the following rice preparation :