Aloo Gobi Sabzi – a simple sabzi made with minimum ingredients.
Aloo Gobi Sabzi is one of the most commonly made sabzi in Indian cuisine. I do make aloo gobi sabzi very often but somehow never posted the recipe on this blog. It can be prepared in several ways. You can make it with onions or without onion-garlic, with onion and tomatoes or only tomatoes and so on. Some of the ways in which I prepare aloo gobi are aloo gobi dry sabzi, aloo gobi in onion tomato gravy, aloo gobi in coconut curry and achari aloo gobi. Today, I am sharing the simplest aloo gobi recipe. This is a dry sabzi with minimum ingredients. All you need is cauliflower, potatoes, garlic and few spices.
This flavourful, one-pan Aloo Gobi sabzi comes together quickly and pairs excellently with rotis and parathas or as a side dish with dal and rice. This is a simple, vegan, beginner level recipe and can be made under 30 minutes. Do try this recipe when you want to make something quick and comforting at the same time. This sabzi with hot phulkas and pickle is always a winning combination. Here is the recipe for aloo gobi sabzi.
List of ingredients to make Aloo Gobi Sabzi
Spices & seasoning : oil, cumin seeds, asafoetida (hing), garlic, red chilly powder, garam masala and salt
For Garnishing : coriander leaves
Step-wise recipe with pictures
Wash the cauliflower and chop into medium sized pieces. Keep aside.
Wash, peel and chop the potatoes. Keep the potatoes immersed in water to prevent oxidization.
Heat oil in a pan. Add cumin seeds and asafoetida. Add chopped garlic and saute.
Add potatoes and saute. Cover and cook for 5 to 7 minutes.
Add chopped cauliflower. Add turmeric powder and salt. Add some water. Cover and cook till almost done.
Add red chilly powder and garam masala. Mix well.
Cover and cook for another 3 to 4 minutes.
Garnish with chopped coriander leaves
Serve hot with rotis/parathas.
Aloo Gobi Sabzi | Cauliflower Batata Bhaji
- 400 grams cauliflower
- 3 potatoes / 300 grams potatoes
- 3 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- a pinch of asafoetida (hing)
- 7 to 8 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 tbsp red chilly powder
- ¾ tsp garam masala
- salt as per taste
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- Wash the cauliflower and chop into medium sized pieces. Keep aside.
- Wash the potatoes, peel and chop into small pieces. Keep chopped potatoes immersed in water to prevent oxidization.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add cumin seeds and hing.
- Next, add chopped garlic. Saute for few seconds.
- Add chopped potatoes and saute.
- Cover and cook for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add chopped cauliflower, turmeric powder and salt. Mix well.
- Cover the pan and allow the veggies to cook on low flame. Keep stirring intermittently.
- Add ¼ cup water and cover the pan. Let the veggies cook till almost done.
- Now add red chilly powder and garam masala.
- Cover and cook for an other 3 to 4 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped coriander.
More simple sabzi recipes
Thank you for stopping by. If you like/ tried this recipe, leaving a comment below the post will enable more readers and cooking enthusiasts to discover these recipes. Also, if you are on Instagram, do share a picture of the dish and tag @vanitascorner to be featured in my stories.