A good source of protein, paneer (cottage cheese) is a versatile ingredient of vegetarian cooking. It is used for making salads, desserts, sabzis, pulao, paratha and so on. If you have paneer handy, you can rustle up quite a few dishes using it. So, here is how you can easily make cottage cheese at home.
1.5 litre milk (doodh)
3 to 4 tbsp lemon juice (nimbu ka ras)
- Boil the milk in a large pan stirring occasionally.
- When it starts boiling, add the lemon juice. Keep stirring.
- The milk will start curdling.
- Once the milk has curdled, place a strainer over a vessel and strain the curdled milk.
- Pour water over it ( 2 to 3 times ) and rinse to remove the sourness of lemon juice.
- This is crumbled paneer.
- If you want solid paneer, place the paneer in the muslin cloth.
- Fold the cloth firmly and place heavy weight over it.
- The paneer will be set in 30 minutes. Remove paneer from the muslin cloth and cut into cubes.
- You can use this paneer to make any paneer dish of your choice.
From 1.5 litre milk, I got 239 grams of paneer.
WATCH RECIPE VIDEO
Further, I would like to draw your attention to some of the paneer recipes. Do have a look.
Paneer Bhurji with corn and capsicum, Chana Paneer salad, Matar Paneer, Paneer Tikka Kathi Rolls, Palak Paneer, Paneer Grilled sandwich, Paneer Paratha, Oats Corn & Paneer Cutlets, Paneer stuffed green peas paratha.