Masala Macaroni is a delicious pasta recipe made by tossing boiled macaroni in a spicy masala.
Pasta is a versatile food and can be cooked in number of ways. There are different types of pasta and each one is suited for a specific type of dish. Macaroni is a small curved, tubular pasta. It is used to make salads, soups, baked dishes etc. It is popularly used to make mac n cheese which is a staple American dish.
About the recipe
Masala Macaroni is an Indian fusion dish where macaroni is boiled and then tossed in a spicy sauce made with onion, tomatoes and spices. Vegetables such as carrots, green peas, capsicum, corn can be added to masala macaroni to make it healthier. It is quick and easy to make and needs few ingredients. It can be served for any meal of the day – breakfast, lunch, as a snack or for dinner. It makes for a good lunch box option for kids.
List of ingredients
Vegetables : Onion, tomatoes, carrot, red, green and yellow bell pepper. Masala macaroni can be made just by using onions and tomatoes. But, adding other vegetables makes it healthier and flavourful.
Spices & Herbs: chilli flakes, Kashmiri red chilli powder,oregano and coriander leaves.
Cheese : Mozzarella /processed cheese
Butter, oil and salt.
Step-wise recipe with pictures
Boil 4 to 5 cups of water in a pan. Add salt. Now add macaroni.
Cook for 5 minutes till the macaroni is al dente (should be firm and not overcooked).
Strain the boiled macaroni. Add a teaspoon of oil and toss he macaroni so that the pasta doesn’t stick to each other.
Chop garlic, chilly, onion, tomatoes, carrot, bell peppers and keep aside.
Heat butter and oil in a pan. Add chopped garlic and saute.
Add chopped onions and green chilly.
Saute till onion becomes soft. Add chopped tomatoes.
Cover and cook till the tomatoes become mushy.
Add chopped carrot and saute for half a minute.
Add chopped pepper and saute for few seconds.
Add chilly flakes, oregano, red chilli powder, tomato ketchup and mix well.
Add salt as per taste. Add grated cheese and mix well.
Now add boiled macaroni.
Mix well so that its coated well with the masala.
Garnish with chopped coriander.
- 2 cups of macaroni / elbow pasta
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 tsp oil
- 1 onion
- 4 tomatoes
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 green chilly, chopped
- ½ carrot
- ½ green bell pepper
- ½ yellow bell pepper
- ½ red bell pepper
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 1 tsp red chilly powder
- 2 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 3 tbsp grated cheese
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves for garnishing
- Boil 4 to 5 cups of water in a pan. Add salt.
- Now add macaroni.
- Cook for 5 minutes till the macaroni is aldente (should be firm and not overcooked).
- Strain the boiled macaroni.
- Add a teaspoon of oil and toss the macaroni so that the pasta doesn’t stick to each other.
- Chop garlic, chilly, onion, tomatoes, carrot, bell peppers and keep aside.
- Heat butter and 1 tsp oil in a pan.
- Add chopped garlic and saute.
- Add chopped onions and green chilly.
- Saute till onion becomes soft.
- Add chopped tomatoes.
- Cover and cook till the tomatoes become mushy.
- Add chopped carrot and saute for half a minute.
- Add chopped bell peppers and saute for few seconds.
- Add chilly flakes, oregano, red chilli powder, tomato ketchup and mix well.
- Add salt as per taste.
- Add grated cheese and mix well.
- Now add boiled macaroni. Mix well so that its coated well with the masala.
- Garnish with chopped coriander.
Quick Meal Recipes
Thank you for stopping by. If you like/ tried this recipe, leaving a comment below the post will enable more readers and cooking enthusiasts to discover these recipes. Also, if you are on Instagram, do share a picture of the dish and tag @vanitascorner to be featured in my stories.
Subscribe to my youtube channel for easy video recipes.