Palak Dal is a nutritious, comforting dal recipe with the goodness of spinach.
Dal is a staple vegetarian dish in every Indian household. Dal, though simple is versatile enough to be prepared in countless ways. The type of lentils used, the method of preparing dal and the spices used in the dal varies according to the region.
Lentils are generally available in every Indian kitchen due to its long shelf life and comes handy when you run out of vegetables. They are a good source of protein for vegetarians. There’s nothing like a simple dal chawal or varan bhaat when you want to have something comforting.
Palak Dal is a simple, delicious dal recipe where dal is cooked with spinach and spices. Dal combined with spinach and spices makes for a hearty, comforting dish. This recipe is a great way to include spinach into your diet. Palak dal pairs excellently with steamed rice. You can also serve it with rotis/chapatis.
You can use any lentils to make this dish. I have used a combination of masoor dal (split red lentils) and moong dal (split green gram).
Why we love Palak Dal
is delicious and comforting
is simple to prepare
is a great way to include spinach in your diet
can be served with rice as well as rotis
List of ingredients
Lentils : I have used masoor dal and moong dal for this recipe. You can use any lentils (tuvar dal, chana dal, or a combination of all dals).
Vegetables : Spinach, Onion and tomato
Herbs and spices : garlic, cumin seeds, mustard seeds, asafoetida (hing) turmeric powder, green chillies, red chilly powder, cumin coriander powder and garam masala
Tempering : Garlic, asafoetida (hing), red chilly powder and dry red chillies. Adding a tadka (tempering) is optional. But I would recommend adding a tadka to this dal.
Step-wise recipe with pictures
Wash and soak masoor dal and moong dal for 30 minutes.
After 30 minutes, drain the water. Transfer soaked dal to a pressure cooker. Add 2 cups of water and cook for 4 to 5 whistles.
Keep cooked dal aside.
In the meantime, chop spinach and keep aside.
Chop onion and keep aside.
Chop tomato and keep aside.
Chop green chillies and garlic. Keep aside.
Heat oil in a pan. Add cumin seeds, mustard seeds and asafoetida. When the seeds starts spluttering, add chopped garlic. Saute till the garlic starts changing its colour.
Add chopped onions. Saute till onions become golden brown.
Add chopped green chillies chopped tomatoes. Saute till the tomato turns mushy.
Add chopped palak. Saute and cook for few minutes.
Add turmeric powder, red chilly powder, cumin-coriander powder and garam masala and mix well.
Add cooked dal and mix.
Add salt as per taste. Cover and cook for few minutes.
Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
For tempering. Heat 1 tbsp oil in a small pan. Add chopped garlic, asafoetida, dry red chillies and red chilly powder.
Pour this tempering into palak dal.
Serve palak dal with steamed rice.
Palak Dal | Dal Palak | Spinach Dal
- 1/3 cup masoor dal (split red lentils)
- 1/3 cup moong dal (split green gram)
- 1 medium sized bunch of palak (3 cups of chopped palak)
- 1 onion
- 1 tomato
- 12 cloves of garlic
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- a pinch of asafoetida
- 1 ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp red chilly powder
- 1 tsp cumin coriander powder
- ½ tsp garam masala
- salt to taste
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp chopped garlic
- a pinch of asafoetida
- 2 dry red chillies
- ½ tsp red chilly powder
- Wash and soak masoor dal and moong dal for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, drain the water.
- Transfer soaked dal to a pressure cooker.
- Add 2 cups of water and cook for 4 to 5 whistles.
- Open the pressure cooker once the steam escapes completely.
- Keep cooked dal aside.
- Now, chop spinach, onion, tomato, garlic, green chillies and keep them aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan.
- Add cumin seeds, mustard seeds and asafoetida.
- When the seeds start spluttering, add chopped garlic.
- Saute till the garlic starts changing its colour.
- Add chopped onions. Saute till onions become golden brown.
- Add chopped green chillies and chopped tomatoes.
- Saute till the tomato turns mushy.
- Add chopped palak.
- Saute and cook for few minutes.
- Add ½ tsp turmeric powder, red chilly powder, cumin-coriander powder, garam masala and mix well.
- Add cooked dal and mix.
- Add salt as per taste.
- Cover and cook for few minutes.
- Turn off the heat and garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- For tempering, heat 1 tbsp oil in a small pan.
- Add chopped garlic, asafoetida, dry red chillies and red chilly powder.
- Pour this tempering into palak dal.
- Serve palak dal with steamed rice.
Some more Dal recipes
Thank you for stopping by. If you like/ tried this recipe, leaving a comment below the post will enable more readers and cooking enthusiasts to discover these recipes. Also, if you are on Instagram, do share a picture of the dish and tag @vanitascorner to be featured in my stories.
Subscribe to my youtube channel for easy video recipes.