Sweet potato tikki chaat – a delicious snack of crispy sweet potato tikkis topped with sweetened curds, chutneys and spices.
Chaat refers to Indian street food /savoury snack such as bhel puri, pani-puri, sev-puri, ragda patties, samosa chole chaat, aloo tikki chaat etc. Aloo tikki chaat is one of the popular chaat recipes across North India. Crispy aloo tikkis are served with sweet curds, spicy chutney, sweet chutney, crispy papdi (savoury Indian crackers), sev and spices. Today I have made tikkis using sweet potatoes instead of potatoes. It is as delicious as aloo tikkis.
Sweet potatoes are known to have high fibre content and rich in antioxidants. So, this chaat is one of the interesting ways to add sweet potato to your diet. Chaats are loved by most people and they make for a delicious snack. Aloo tikki chaats are easily available with street side vendors and at restaurants. But sweet potato tikki chaat is not so common. Even if it’s available, there is something special about homemade chaats. So, here goes the recipe for sweet potato tikki chaat:
Step-wise recipe with pictures
Wash 3 sweet potatoes well. Pressure cook for 2 to 3 whistles.
Boil, peel and mash sweet potatoes.
To the boiled, mashed sweet potatoes, add ginger-green chillies paste.
Add turmeric powder, Kashmiri chilli powder, cumin-coriander powder, chaat masala and salt.
Add chopped coriander leaves and rice flour.
Shape into tikkis.
Keep tikkis aside.
In a mixing bowl add curds and powdered sugar, Whisk well and keep aside.
Heat oil in a skillet and shallow fry the tikkis on low to medium heat till they turn crisp.
Keep the fried tikkis aside.
To make the chaat, place three to four tikkis on a serving plate.
Top it with sweetened curds, green (mint) chutney and sweet chutney. Crush few papdis over it. Add Kashmiri chilli powder and chaat masala.
Next, add 3 to 4 tbsp of nylon sev over it. Drizzle sweetened curds, green chutney and sweet chutney.
Add pomegranate seeds and chopped coriander leaves.
3 medium to large sized sweet potatoes
1 tbsp ginger-green chilly paste
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp Kashmiri chilly powder
1 tsp cumin coriander powder
1 tbsp chaat masala
salt to taste
½ cup chopped coriander leaves
2 tbsp rice flour
- Wash the sweet potatoes well to remove the dirt if any.
- Pressure cook sweet potatoes for 2 to 3 whistles.
- After the sweet potato cools down, peel them and mash them well.
- Transfer the mashed sweet potatoes to a mixing bowl.
- Add ginger-green chillies paste, turmeric powder, Kashmiri red chilli powder, cumin-corainder powder, chaat masala and salt. Mix well.
- Shape into tikkis and keep aside.
- Take curds in a bowl. Add powdered sugar and mix well. Keep the sweetened curds aside.
- Heat oil in a skillet. Shallow fry the tikkis till they turn golden and crispy on the outside.
- Now, to prepare the chaat, in a serving plate, place 3 to 4 shallow fried tikkis.
- Top it with sweet curds, green chutney and sweet chutney.
- Crush few crispy papdis over it.
- Sprinkle a pinch each of Kashmiri chilli powder and chaat masala.
- Add more sweet curds, green chutney and sweet chutney.
- Top it with nylon sev and pomegranate seeds.
- Add more chutney and sweet curds if required.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves. Serve immediately.
WATCH RECIPE VIDEO:
Thank you for stopping by. If you like/ tried this recipe, leaving a comment below the post will enable more readers and cooking enthusiasts to discover these recipes. Also, if you are on Instagram, do share a picture of the dish and tag @vanitascorner to be featured in my stories.