“Launji” is a sweet and sour pickle like dish that is very popular in Rajasthani cuisine. Tamatar ki Launji is made using tomatoes with various spices. It makes for a good accompaniment with methi parathas, Ajwain parathas, Mooli parathas and Missi Roti. Here is the recipe for Tamatar ki Launji.
1 cup finely chopped tomatoes (tamatar)
¼ tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
¼ tsp nigella seeds (kalonji)
¼ tsp fennel seeds (saunf)
a pinch of mustard seeds (rai/sarso)
1 to 2 green chillies, finely chopped (hari mirch)
1 tsp cumin-coriander powder (dhaniya jeera powder)
2 tsp Kashmiri red chilli powder (kashmiri laal mirch powder)
1 tbsp grated jaggery (gud)
2 tsp fresh coriander, chopped (hara dhaniya)
1 tbsp oil (tel)
Salt as per taste (namak)
- Heat oil in a pan. Add cumin seeds, nigella seeds, fennel seeds, and mustard seeds.
- When the seeds start crackling, add the chopped tomatoes and green chillies.
- Saute for 4 to 5 minutes on medium heat, while stirring continuously.
- Add cumin-coriander powder, kashmiri chilli powder, grated jaggery, salt and ¼ cup of water.
- Cook covered for 5 minutes on low heat.
- Garnish with chopped coriander.
- Serve hot with rotis/parathas.
WATCH RECIPE VIDEO: