Oats Besan Cheela – a healthy & delicious breakfast dish made with oats, besan, veggies and spices.
Cheela also known as Chilla or Pudla (in Gujarati) is a traditional Indian pancake made with besan (gram flour). Over a period of time, culinary explorations led to making of different types of cheelas using different ingredients. For eg, moong dal cheela, jowar cheela, horsegram flour cheela and so on. Oats Besan Cheela is one such variation.
About Oats Besan Cheela
Oats Besan Cheela is a healthy and delicious pancake which can be made in a jiffy. The recipe is pretty simple. To begin with, oats are roasted and ground to a fine powder. If you have powdered oats available with you, the preparation time reduces further. Powdered oats and besan are mixed with water to which chopped veggies and spices are added to make a thin batter. The consistency of the batter should be such that it can spread easily on a hot pan/ griddle. Oats and besan together make this dish a nutritious breakfast option. It pairs well with green chutney and tomato ketchup.
Oats Besan Cheela is a fantastic option when you are looking for protein rich breakfast or a quick snack.
List of ingredients to make Oats Besan Cheela
Veggies : Onion, Tomato, Carrot
Herbs and spices : Carom seeds, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, green chillies, coriander leaves.
Other ingredients : salt, oil and baking soda
Step-wise recipe with pictures
Take a cup of oats, Heat a pan. Add oats and dry roast for few seconds
Blend the roasted oats to a fine powder.
In a mixing bowl, add powdered oats and besan.
Add chopped onion abd chopped tomato.
Add grated carrot, chopped coriander leaves, chopped chillies.
Add carom seeds, turmeric powder, red chilly powder and salt.
Add 2 ½ cups of water and mix well.
Add 1/8 tsp of baking soda and mix well.
Heat a pan. Add few drops of oil and grease the pan. Add a ladleful batter on the pan and spread. Drizzle few drops of oil around the cheela.
Cook covered. When it cooks on one side and the edges turn golden brown, flip the cheela and cook on the other side.
Serve Oats Besan Cheela with green chutney and tomato ketchup. You can also serve few slices of bread alongwith cheela.
Oats Besan Cheela | Oats Besan Chilla
- 1 cup oats
- 1 cup gram flour (besan)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tomato, chopped
- ½ cup grated carrot
- ½ cup chopped coriander leaves
- 2 green chillies, finely chopped
- 1 tsp carom seeds (ajwain)
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- salt to taste
- 1/8 tsp baking soda
- Oil for cooking cheelas
- Heat a pan. Add 1 cup of oats. Dry roast for few seconds.Allow the roasted oats to cool down and blend to a fine powder.
- In a mixing bowl, add powdered oats, besan,chopped onion, chopped tomato, grated carrot, chopped coriander leaves, chopped green chillies, carom seeds, turmeric powder, red chilly powder and salt.
- Add 2½ cups of water, Mix well.
- Add 1/8 tsp of baking soda and mix well.
- Heat a pan.
- Add few drops of oil and grease the pan.
- Pour a ladleful batter on the greased pan.
- Drizzle few drops of oil around the cheela. Cover and cook .
- When one side of the cheela is cooked, flip and cook on the other side.
- Remove from the pan and serve with green chutney and tomato ketchup.
Easy breakfast recipes
Thank you for stopping by. If you like/ tried this recipe, leaving a comment below the post will enable more readers and cooking enthusiasts to discover these recipes. Also, if you are on Instagram, do share a picture of the dish and tag @vanitascorner to be featured in my stories.
Subscribe to my youtube channel for easy video recipes.