Raw Mango coconut milk curry– a mildly flavoured curry with the goodness of coconut milk.
The best thing about summer is mangoes and the variety of dishes that we can make using raw and ripe mangoes. Mangoes, raw and ripe, make for a great summer snack, but apart from that there’s umpteen number of dishes one can make using them. From salads to curries to desserts, options are too many. Raw mango curry with coconut milk is a super delicious curry and makes for a great accompaniment with hot steaming rice. For me, the curry also doubles up as soup. This curry packs in so many flavours and textures – tangy flavour of the the raw mango, sweetness from the coconut, jaggery and the creamy texture from coconut milk.
1 big raw mango
½ cup freshly grated coconut
2 green chillies
1 tsp cumin coriander powder
1 tsp red chilli powder
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 tbsp oil
1 tsp mustard seeds
½ tsp fenugreek seeds (methi seeds)
½ tsp asafoetida (hing)
few curry leaves
1 cup thick coconut milk (How to extract coconut milk)
2 tsp jaggery powder
salt as per taste
- Wash and peel the mango.
- Cut into medium sized cubes. Keep aside.
- Blend grated coconut, green chillies, cumin corainder powder, red chilli powder and turmeric powder to a fine paste.
- Add this masala paste to mango cubes.
- Add salt and coat well.
- Keep this aside for 20 minutes.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan.
- Add mustard seeds, methi seeds, hing and curry leaves.
- Saute for few seconds.
- Add mango cubes alongwith the marinade.
- Add some water and mix well.
- Cook covered till the mango cubes turn tender.
- Add jaggery powder, salt if required and mix.
- Finally add coconut milk and turn off the heat.
- Give a quick mix and keep the pan covered for 10 minutes.
- The flavourful raw mango coconut milk curry is ready to be served.
WATCH RECIPE VIDEO: