Sabudana Khichdi is one of the most common dishes which people have when they are fasting. It is a perfect dish for those on fast. Its an easy recipe made by tossing soaked sabudana (sago) with boiled potatoes,crushed peanuts and spices. Here is the recipe for Sabudana Khichdi.
1 cup sabudana (sago)
1 tbsp oil (tel)
1 tbsp jeera ( cumin seeds)
1 big potato (boiled, peeled and cubed) (aloo)
½ cup peanuts (mungphali)
2 green chillies,chopped (hari mirch)
A few curry leaves (kadi patta)
1 tsp lemon juice (nimbu ka ras)
1/2 tsp sugar (cheeni)
2 tbsp grated fresh coconut (nariyal)
Salt as per taste (namak)
- Wash the sabudana well to remove the starch.
- Soak the sabudana for 5 to 6 hours in just enough water to cover them such that the water level is 1 cm above the sabudana.
- Dry roast the peanuts. Remove the skin from the peanuts and grind to a coarse powder.
- Heat oil in a deep pan and add the cumin seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the curry leaves, green chillies and saute.
- Add the soaked sabudana, salt , sugar and saute.
- Now, add the chopped potatoes, peanut powder and mix well.
- Add the lemon juice and mix.
- Cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes.
- Garnish with grated coconut
- Serve hot.