Ambe Dal or Kairichi Dal is a refreshing salad/chutney for hot summers when raw mangoes are available in plenty. It is a traditional Maharashtrian preparation and is popularly prepared during the Chaitra Gauri Haldi Kumkum ceremony. Chaitra is the first month of Hindu calendar and the haldi Kumkum ceremony is performed during this month. Ambe dal and Kairi Panha are two must-prepare dishes for this ceremony. Ambe in Marathi means mango and Kairi is raw mango. As this is made with raw mangoes and split chickpeas, it’s known as kairichi dal or ambe dal.
This salad made with two main ingredients, i.e. split chickpeas and raw mango, is a vegan, no-onion, no-garlic, healthy, tasty salad. This dish is very easy and quick to make. Soaked chana dal is ground alongwith green chilly and mixed with grated raw mango and is then flavoured with a tadka. Ambe dal makes for a great accompaniment to a Maharashtrian vegetarian meal. Apart from serving this as a side dish with meals, this makes for a good stand alone, healthy mid-day snack.
List of ingredients to make Ambe Dal
Split chickpeas (chana dal)
For Tempering : oil, dry red chilly, mustard seeds, curry leaves, asafoetida
Step-wise recipe with pictures
Wash and soak chana dal for 3 to 4 hours.
Transfer soaked chana dal to a mixer jar. Add green chilly and blend to a coarse paste without adding water. Keep this aside.
In a mixing bowl, add grated raw mango, ground chana dal, salt, sugar, grated coconut and chopped coriander. Mix well.
For the tempering. Heat 1 tsp oil in a small pan. Add mustard seeds, hing, curry leaves and red chilly.
When they start spluttering, take off the heat and pour into the chana dal mixture and mix well.
Refrigerate and serve chilled.
Ambe Dal | Kairichi Dal
- 1/3 cup split chickpeas (chana dal)
- ¼ cup grated raw mango
- 1 green chilly
- ½ tsp sugar
- 2 tbsp fresh coconut, grated
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- salt to taste
For the tempering
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 dry red chilly
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- few curry leaves
- a pinch of asafoetida (hing)
- Wash and soak chana dal for 3 to 4 hours.
- Drain chana dal and transfer to a mixer jar.
- Add green chilly and blend to a coarse paste without adding water. Keep this aside.
- In a mixing bowl, add grated raw mango, ground chana dal, salt, sugar, grated coconut and chopped coriander. Mix well.
- For the tempering. Heat 1 tsp oil in a small pan.
- Add mustard seeds, hing, curry leaves and red chilly.
- When they start spluttering, take off the heat and pour into the salad and mix well.
- Refrigerate and serve chilled.
More Raw Mango Recipes
Thank you for stopping by. If you like/ tried this recipe, leaving a comment below the post will enable more readers and cooking enthusiasts to discover these recipes. Also, if you are on Instagram, do share a picture of the dish and tag @vanitascorner to be featured in my stories.