Malvani Egg Drop Curry – a spicy curry which tastes great with rotis, bread or rice.
Eggs can be cooked in so many ways – fried, boiled, scrambled, baked and can be used to make anything from starters to desserts. Some of the egg recipes on this blog are Boiled Egg Sandwich, Stuffed masala eggs, Egg Spinach Wrap, Dhaba style Egg Curry and Caramel Custard.
Malvani Egg Drop curry is a curry made by breaking eggs and dropping into a spicy curry. The curry is made of roasted dry coconut, onions and spices. This spicy Egg Drop curry pairs well with rotis, bread and rice. Here goes the recipe:
8 eggs (ande)
3 large onions, thinly sliced (pyaaz)
1 small onion, chopped (pyaaz)
1 small tomato (tamatar)
3 tbsp grated dry coconut (sookha nariyal)
3 cloves of garlic, chopped (lehsun)
1 inch piece of ginger (adrak)
2 tsp coriander seeds (dhaniya)
1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
1 tsp fennel seeds (sauf)
1 tsp poppy seeds (khuskhus)
4 cloves (laung)
½ inch cinnamon (dalchini)
1 big cardamom (badi elaichi)
1 tsp oil + 1 tbsp oil (tel)
1 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
1 tbsp red chilly powder (laal mirch)
Salt as per taste (namak)
Chopped coriander for garnishing (hara dhaniya)
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a pan.
- Add the onion slices (3 onions).
- Saute till the onions turn transluscent.
- Add the grated dry coconut.
- Add chopped garlic, chopped ginger, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, fennel seeds, poppy seeds, cloves, cinnamon and cardamom.
- Saute till all the ingredients are well roasted.
- Allow the roasted ingredients to cool completely.
- Transfer the roasted ingredients to a mixer jar.
- Add water and blend to a fine paste. Keep this ground masala aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan.
- Add chopped onion (1 small onion).
- Saute till they turn soft and translucent.
- Now add the chopped tomato and saute till the tomato turns mushy.
- Now, add the masala paste.
- Saute for few minutes.
- Add turmeric powder, red chilly powder and give a good mix.
- Add water as per the desired consistency and mix well.
- Cover the lid and cook for 5 minutes.
- When the gravy starts boiling, open the lid.
- Crack the eggs and drop into the boiling gravy one by one.
- Now, cover the lid and cook on a slow flame for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Do not stir after dropping the eggs as the eggs will disintegrate and get scrambled.
- After 10 minutes, open the lid and gently give a stir.
- Garnish with chopped coriander.
- Serve hot with roti or rice or lachcha paratha.
WATCH RECIPE VIDEO: