Rice Kheer is a classic Indian dessert made with rice, milk, sugar and nuts.
Rice is the most versatile ingredient nature has blessed us with. From savoury to dessert, from breakfast to dinner anything you name, can be made with rice. Such is the magic of this humble ingredient called rice. Rice Kheer is a simple yet delicious dessert.
About the recipe
Rice Kheer is a simple, creamy dessert made with basic ingredients like rice, milk, sugar and nuts. The combination of these basic ingredients creates a delicious, lipsmacking dessert. It is a commonly made dessert in Indian homes specially for festivals or religious ceremonies. The recipe for rice kheer is pretty simple but it requires patience. The rice needs to be cooked slowly in milk until it turns soft and mushy.
While the basic recipe for rice kheer remains same, it is prepared differently in different parts of India. In North, rice kheer is made with sugar while in South, jaggery is used to make the kheer. Some use cow’s milk while others use coconut milk for the kheer. Whichever way it is made, rice kheer holds a great significance in India.
List of ingredients
Rice : The main ingredient for rice kheer is obviously rice. While rice kheer can be made with any type of rice, using a fragrant variety of rice like Basmati, Gobindbhog or Ambemohar rice is preferred. I have used Ambemohar rice.
Milk : Full fat milk is used to make this kheer
Sweetener : Sugar
Nuts : You can use any nuts of your choice. I have used almonds and pistachios.
Flavouring ingredients : cardamom and saffron
Step-wise recipe with pictures
Wash and soak rice in water for 1 hour.
Soak the almonds in water for an hour.
Soak a pinch of saffron in 2 tbsp of warm milk.
After an hour, Peel the almonds and chop them.
Chop the pistachios and keep aside.
Crush cardamoms to a fine powder and keep aside.
Heat milk in a pan and bring it to a boil.
Add the soaked rice and cook it on a slow flame.
The rice should turn soft and mushy. This will take anywhere from 20 to 40 minutes. Once the rice is cooked, add sugar and cook it on a slow flame for another 8 to 10 minutes.till the mixture becomes thick.
Add saffron milk, chopped almonds, pistachios, cardamom powder and mix well. Serve hot or refrigerate and serve chilled.
- ½ cup Rice (preferably aromatic rice such as basmati, ambemohar or gobindbhog)
- 1 litre milk
- 3/4 cup sugar or as per taste
- a pinch of Saffron
- 15 to 20 almonds
- 2 tbsp pistachios
- 3 cardamoms
- Wash and soak rice in water for 1 hour.
- Soak the almonds in water for an hour.
- Soak a pinch of saffron in 2 tbsp of warm milk.
- After an hour, Peel the almonds and chop them.
- Chop the pistachios and keep aside.
- Crush cardamoms to a fine powder and keep aside.
- Heat milk in a pan and bring it to a boil.
- Add the soaked rice and cook it on a slow flame.
- The rice should turn soft and mushy.
- This will take anywhere from 20 to 40 minutes.
- Once the rice is cooked, and sugar and cook it on a slow flame for another 8 to 10 minutes till the mixture becomes thick.
- Add saffron milk, chopped almonds, pistachios, cardamom powder and mix well. .
- Garnish with almonds,pistachio slivers and dried rose petals.
- Serve hot or chilled.
More Kheer Recipes
Thank you for stopping by. If you like/ tried this recipe, leaving a comment below the post will enable more readers and cooking enthusiasts to discover these recipes. Also, if you are on Instagram, do share a picture of the dish and tag @vanitascorner to be featured in my stories.
Subscribe to my youtube channel for easy video recipes.