Rice is the most versatile ingredient nature has blessed us with. From savoury to dessert, from breakfast to dinner, rice is used in variety of dishes. Such is the magic of this humble ingredient called rice. Rice Kheer is a simple yet delicious dessert.
½ cup Rice (preferably basmati)
4 cups Milk
½ to ¾ cup Sugar (as per taste)
a few strands of Saffron
6 to 8 Almonds
5 to 6 Pistachios
1 tbsp Almonds, pistachio slivers
1 tsp Cardamom powder
- Wash and soak rice in water for 30 minutes.
- Soak the almonds in water for an hour.
- Drain, peel and chop them. Also chop the pistachios.
- Soak saffron strands in 1 tbsp warm milk.
- Heat milk in a pan and bring it to a boil.
- Add the soaked rice and cook it on a slow flame.
- The rice should be cooked well.
- This will take around 30 to 40 minutes.
- Once the rice is cooked, add sugar and cook it on a slow flame till the mixture becomes thick.
- Add the chopped almonds, pistachios, cardamom powder and mix well.
- Add the saffron mixture and cook for another 2 minutes on a slow flame.
- Garnish with almonds and pistachio slivers.
- Refrigerate and serve chilled Rice Kheer.
Also have a look at the following kheer recipes: