Sweet Poha Prasad – Mangalore style prasad made for Ganesh Chaturthi using flattened rice, coconut, jaggery, sesame seeds and dry fruits.
Ganesh Chaturthi is one of the most revered Hindu festivals and is celebrated across India with great devotion and enthusiasm. One of the significant aspect of Ganesh Chaturthi celebration is offering of prasad to Lord Ganesha. While in Maharashtra, it is a tradition to offer Ukadiche modak to Lord Ganesha, in Mangalorean traditions Sweet Poha prasad is an integral part of Ganesh Chaturthi celebrations.
About Sweet Poha Prasad
Sweet Poha Prasad holds a special place in Mangalorean traditions. It is prepared during poojas and festivals such as Ganesh Chaturthi and Janmashtami as an offering to God.
The preparation of sweet poha prasad is pretty simple. The main ingredient for this dish is flattened rice or poha. Poha is available in various thickness and for this particular recipe, thin poha is preferred. The recipe involves making of jaggery syrup to which coconut, roasted dry fruits, roasted sesame seeds and poha are added . There is another version of Sweet Poha on this blog, the recipe for which is here.
This can also be served as snack or breakfast dish.
List of ingredients to make Sweet Poha Prasad
Poha : Poha or flattned rice is the main ingredient for this dish. Poha is available in various thickness. For this recipe, the thin variety of poha is preferred.
Fresh Coconut : Fresh coconut enhances the overall taste of the dish.
Jaggery : Jaggery is used to sweeten the poha and is a healthy option as compared to sugar.
Black Sesame Seeds : Sesame seed adds crunch and nuttiness to the dish.
Dry fruits : dryfruits contribute to overall richness of the dish.
cardamom powder : cardamom powder enhances the flavour and aroma of sweet poha.
Step-wise recipe to make Sweet Poha
Heat a pan and add sesame seeds. Dry roast the sesame seeds for few seconds. Keep aside.
Into the same pan add ghee. When the ghee starts melting add chopped almonds, chopped cashew nuts and raisins. Saute for few seconds. Keep roasted dry fruits aside.
Now add jaggery to the same pan.
Add 2 tbsp of water and keep stirring till the jaggery melts completely. Cook on low flame till the jaggery syrup becomes sticky.
Add fresh coconut and mix well for few seconds. Turn off the heat
Add roasted dry fruits and sesame seeds. Mix well.
Add cardamom powder and poha. Mix well.
Garnish with pieces of banana and tulsi leaf. Sweet Poha Prasad is ready.
Sweet Poha Prasad | Jaggery Coconut Poha | Ganesh Chaturthi recipe
- 2 cups of thin flattened rice (poha)
- ½ cup of jaggery (gud)
- 1 cup of fresh, grated coconut (nariyal)
- 1 tsp clarified butter (ghee)
- 1 tbsp black sesame seeds (til)
- 1 tbsp almonds, chopped (badam)
- 1 tbsp cashew nuts, chopped (kaju)
- 1 tbsp raisins (kishmish)
- ½ tsp cardamom powder (elaichi powder)
- banana slices and tulsi leaf
- Heat a pan and add black sesame seeds.
- Dry roast for few seconds. Set this aside.
- In to the same pan, add ghee.
- When the ghee starts melting, add chopped almonds, chopped cashew nuts and raisins. Saute for few seconds.
- Keep roasted dry fruits aside.
- Next, add jaggery to the same pan.
- Add 2 tbsp water and keep stirring until the jaggery dissolves completely.
- Cook the jaggery mixture till it becomes sticky.
- Add fresh coconut and mix.
- Cook for few seconds and turn off the heat.
- Add roasted sesame seeds and roasted dry fruits. Mix well.
- Now add cardamom powder and poha. Mix well.
- Garnish with chopped bananas and tulsi leaf.
More Poha Recipes
Thank you for stopping by. If you like/ tried this recipe, leaving a comment below the post will enable more readers and cooking enthusiasts to discover these recipes. Also, if you are on Instagram, do share a picture of the dish and tag @vanitascorner to be featured in my stories.
Subscribe to my youtube channel for easy video recipes.