Kairi Panha / Aam Panna is a cooling summer drink made with sour, raw mangoes.
Summer season is here and the temperature is soaring higher with each passing day leaving everyone drained out and exhausted. At such times, it is important to keep ourselves hydrated, and what better than some desi summer coolers to beat the heat. It’s the season of mangoes and we can make some amazing summer coolers with raw as well as ripe mangoes. One such traditional summer cooler made with raw mangoes is Aam Panna.
About Kairi Panha
Kairi Panha is a traditional summer drink made with raw mangoes. It is a refreshing and hydrating drink and is perfect to beat the summer heat. Raw mangoes are cooling in nature and rich in Vitamin C. Hence, Aam panna is known to cool the body and is a healthy summer drink. With mint leaves, ground spices (cumin powder and black pepper) and black salt added to this drink, it is also known to aid digestion.
There are different methods to make Aam Panna. I have earlier shared the recipe of Aam panna made using sugar, cardamom and saffron. Today I am sharing the recipe of Aam panna made with jaggery. I have used organic jaggery powder for this recipe.
List of ingredients
Raw Mangoes : I have used Totapuri raw mangoes here. You can use any variety of raw mangoes provided it is sour to taste.
Jaggery : I have used organic jaggery powder. Hence the colour of Aam panna is on the darker side. The colour of Aam Panna will vary depending on the colour of the jaggery.
Herbs: mint leaves
Spices : roasted cumin powder, black pepper powder.
Step-wise recipe to make Kairi Panha
Wash and peel the raw mangoes.
Chope the mangoes and discard the seeds.
Transfer chopped raw mangoes to a pan. Add a cup of water and cook on low flame.
When the mango pieces are cooked, add jaggery powder and keep stirring.
After the jaggery melts, cook on low flame for 2 to 3 minutes.
Take the pan off the heat . Allow the mango jaggery mixture to cool down.
Transfer the mixture to a mixer jar. Add fresh mint leaves and blend to a fine paste.
To this paste, add roasted cumin powder, black pepper powder and black salt. Blend once again. This is the Aam panna concentrate.
To make aam panna, add 2 tbsp of this concentrate to a glass.
Add chilled water and mix well. Add ice cubes. Garnish with m int leaves and serve.
Kairi Panha | Aam Panna with jaggery
- 2 medium sized raw mangoes
- 1 cup organic jaggery powder
- 1 cup water
- ¾ cup fresh mint leaves
- 1 tsp roasted cumin powder
- ½ tsp black pepper powder
- 1 tsp black salt
- few ice cubes
- Wash the mangoes and peel them.
- Chop the mangoes into medium sized pieces. Discard the seeds.
- Transfer the chopped mangoes to a pan.
- Add a cup of water.
- Cook on low flame till the mangoes are cooked and have become soft.
- Now, add jaggerypowder. Keep stirring.
- Once the jaggery melts, cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Take the pan off the heat.
- Allow this mixture to cool completely.
- Transfer this mixture to a mixer jar.
- Add fresh mint leaves and blend to a smooth paste.
- To this paste, add roasted cumin powder, black pepper powder and black salt.
- Blend once again for few seconds. This is the Aam Panna concentrate.
- This can be refrigerated for 2 to 3 weeks.
- To make aam panna, add 2 tbsp of aam panna concentrate to a glass.
- Add chilled water and mix well.
- Add ice cubes.
- Garnish with fresh mint leaves and serve chilled.
Frequently asked Questions
Why is the Aam Panna brownish in colour?
I have used organic jaggery powder. Hence the colour of panna is brownish. The colour of panna will vary depending on the colour of jaggery.
How long can the aam panna concentrate be stored?
You can store the aam panna concentrate in the refrigerator for 2 to 3 weeks.
Can we use sugar instead of jaggery ?
Yes, you can make aam panna using sugar. The recipe of Aam panna with sugar is here.
Can we use any variety of raw mango available in the market to make aam panna?
Yes. You can use any variety of raw mango provided it is sour to taste and is firm and tough from outside. Do not use soft mangoes.
More Mango Cooler Recipes
Watermelon Mint Cooler
Thank you for stopping by. If you like/ tried this recipe, leaving a comment below the post will enable more readers and cooking enthusiasts to discover these recipes. Also, if you are on Instagram, do share a picture of the dish and tag @vanitascorner to be featured in my stories.
Do subscribe to my Youtube Channel for easy video recipes.