Sprouted Moong Salad – healthy salad with sprouted moong and vegetables.
Moong (Green gram) is considered one of the best plant based sources of protein. Sprouting moong beans enhances its nutritional value and is known to aid digestion and improves blood circulation. Moong/ Sprouted moong can be used in number of dishes like salads, dals, dosas, khichdi etc. Some of the whole moong recipes on this blog are Sprouted Moong Sabzi, Pesarattu, Moong Idlis, Maharashtrian style Moong curry etc. Recipes using moong dal are Moong Dal Khichdi, Moong Dal Dosa, Moong Dal Salad, Moong dal Cheela, Moong Dal payasam, Moong Palak Paratha, Moong Dal Methi Sabzietc. The recipe I am sharing today is Sprouted Moong Salad. You can have this healthy salad as an evening snack or as a light dinner paired with any soup.
1 ½ cup sprouted green gram (moong) – How to make sprouts
1 tomato, finely chopped (tamatar)
1 cucumber, peeled and finely chopped (kheera)
1 green chilly, chopped (hari mirch) – optional
½ tsp red chilly powder (laal mirch)
½ tsp chaat masala
Salt as per taste (namak)
½ cup fresh coriander leaves, chopped (hara dhaniya)
1 tbsp lemon juice (nimbu ka ras)
- Heat 2 cups of water in a pan.
- When the water starts boiling, turn off the heat.
- Add sprouted moong into hot water.
- Cover the pan and keep aside for 7 to 10 minutes.
- Drain the water and transfer the moong to a mixing bowl.
- To this, add chopped tomato, chopped cucumber, chopped green chilly, red chilly powder, chaat masala, salt, chopped coriander leaves and lemon juice. Mix well.
- Serve Sprouted Moong salad with your meals or as an evening snack.
Sprouted moong is not cooked in water but is added to hot water after turning off the heat. By doing this, the moong sprouts are not overcooked and it gives a nice crunch to the salad.
WATCH RECIPE VIDEO: