Masala Dosa – crispy dosa stuffed with potato masala.
Dosa is one of the the most popular breakfast dishes of South India. From the classic Saada dosa (plain dosa) to more exotic ones, you can make innumerable variety of dosas.
Dosa is also my personal favourite breakfast dish and Sunday breakfast at my place is invariably dosa with chutney and sambar. Sundays are reserved for different variety of dosas and chutneys. The variety of dosas that you will find on this blog are saada dosa, rava dosa, neer dosa, ulli karam dosa, mysore masala dosa, sprouted ragi dosa, moong dosa, watermelon rind dosa, mixed dals dosa, millet dosa, schezwan dosa, quinoa dosa, moong dal dosa, minapa roti and uttapam.
2 cups rice (chawal)
1 cup split black gram (udad dal)
1 tsp fenugreek seeds (methi seeds)
2 tsp split begal gram ( chana dal)
2 tbsp thin flattened rice (poha)
Salt as per taste (namak)
For potato bhaji
4 boiled and mashed potatoes (aloo)
2 tsp oil (tel)
1 tsp split black gram (udad dal)
1 tsp mustard seeds (rai/sarso)
½ tsp split Bengal gram (chana dal)
½ tsp asafoetida (hing)
Few curry leaves (kadi patta)
1 large onion, thinly sliced (pyaaz)
2 cloves garlic, chopped (lehsun)
½ tsp chopped ginger (adrak)
2 green chillies, chopped (hari mirch)
1 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
1 tbsp lemon juice (nimbu ka ras)
2 tbsp fresh coriander, chopped (hara dhaniya)
Salt as per taste (namak)
For making dosa batter
- Wash and soak rice, methi seeds and chana dal in one vessel for 3 to 4 hours.
- Soak udad dal in another vessel for 3 to 4 hours.
- Soak poha in water for 20 minutes before grinding.
- Drain the water from udad dal and blend to a fine paste.
- Transfer udad dal paste to a vessel.
- Blend soaked rice, methi seeds, chana dal and poha to a fine paste.
- Mix both the batter well using your hand or a whisk.
- Add salt and mix well.
- Allow the batter to ferment for 8 to 10 hours.
For making potato masala/ bhaji
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Add mustard seeds, udad dal, chana dal, hing and curry leaves.
- Saute for few seconds.
- When the seeds start crackling add chopped garlic, chopped ginger, chopped green chillies and saute.
- Next, add thinly sliced onions and saute.
- Add salt as per taste and saute the onions till they change colour and become translucent.
- Add turmeric powder and mix well.
- Next, add the boiled, mashed potatoes and mix well.
- Add chopped coriander and lemon juice.
- This is the stuffing for masala dosa. Keep this aside.
For making masala dosa
- Once the dosa batter is fermented, lightly stir the batter.
- Add water if required to adjust the consistency.
- Heat a dosa pan.
- The pan should be medium hot.
- Pour a ladleful of batter on the pan.
- Spread it in a circular motion.
- Cook the dosa on low to medium flame.
- Drizzle ghee on the edges of the dosa.
- After the dosa is cooked and turned crispy, place a portion of potato masala on the dosa.
- Fold the dosa and remove from the pan.
- Serve masala dosa with coconut chutney and sambar.
WATCH RECIPE VIDEO: